Thursday, April 21, 2011
Diffuculty paper
While reading The Scarlet Letter I found the most difficult part about reading the novel was the diction. Many of the words used in The Scarlet Letter were hard to understand. Nathaniel Hawthorne used a variety of nouns and adjectives in his novel that I did not know the meaning to. As well as the way Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote the novel in old fashion english, made it harder to understand. The way people spoke in the 1600's( as it was the setting for The Scarlet Letter) is very different from how writers such as Dagaberto Gilbs wrote and spoke in his novel, The Flowers. Since the novels diction was hard to understand, I often found myself sitting next to the computer while reading the book and when a word popped up that I didn't know I would go to dictionary.com and look it up. After I wrote down and understood the meaning of the word I would re-read the aprt of the text that I didn't understand. This was really helpful for me because I knew the meaning of the text so I could actually understand the story and diction finally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice, I have been having to look up the meaning of a lot of the words he uses too. I like the way he writes, I think the fact that it is challenging to read the book makes it that more interesting.
ReplyDeleteI started making notes in the margins with the definitions of the words the first time I read the story. Then went back the second time and was able to enjoy it. I was excited about the challenge of learning all the new words though. I do not think most people are that weird though.
ReplyDelete